If you are one of those looking for the right food to eat to make your family more healthy, you don’t need to look further because the National Nutrition Council which is under the umbrella of Department of Science and Technology release the national guidelines for Filipinos.
The Nutritional Guidelines are primary recommendations to promote good health through proper nutrition among Filipinos. They are simple statements that give advice on the consumption of food and food components for which there are public concerns.
- Eat a variety of foods everyday to get the nutrients needed by the body.
- Breastfeed infants exclusively from birth up to 6 months then give appropriate complementary foods while continuing breastfeeding for 2 years and beyond for optimum growth and development.
- Eat more vegetable and fruits everyday to get the essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber for regulation of body processes.
- Consume fish, lean meat, poultry, egg, dried beans or nuts daily for growth and repair body tissues.
- Consume milk, milk products, and other calcium-rich foods, such as small fish and shellfish, everyday for healthy bones and teeth.
- Consume safe foods and water to prevent diarrhea and other food-and water-borne diseases.
- Use iodized salt to prevent Iodine Deficiency Disorders.
- Limit intake of salty, fried, fatty and sugar-rich foods to prevent cardiovascular diseases.
- Attain normal body weight through proper diet and moderate physical activity to maintain good health and prevent obesity.
- Be physically active, make healthy food choices, manage stress, avoid alcoholic beverages and do not smoke to help prevent lifestyle-related non-communicable diseases.
This nutritional guidelines is developed by the Department of Science and Technology – Food and Nutrition Research Institute and approved by the National Nutrition Council Governing Board.
“The promotion of these guidelines is an important strategy to improve the dietary and related health practices of Filipinos”, said NNC-NCR Regional Nutrition Program Coordinator Milagros Elisa V. Federizo.
For more information, you may contact: National Nutrition Council – NCR http://nnc.gov.ph/regional-offices/ncr.
If you have noticed the guidelines, eating more fruits and vegetables are still on top plus a moderate exercises. I urge our dear readers to buy more organic fruits and vegetables, if possible. Health-wise, organics will provide more nutrients and minerals needed by our body.
Also, I’ve read a lot of resources that whole products such as whole milk and whole wheat are more nutritious. And, junk food was not mentioned so please avoid them as much as possible.
By the way, rest and sleep are not mentioned, so I also encourage everybody to have enough rest and sleep. These are the only time, when our body heals really fast. Even active athletes knows the power of rest and sleep.
And don’t forget… spiritually healthy body is as important as physical health if not more important! Read the bible, have peace with your neighbors, and go to church together as family. Let’s all have healthy family in 2014!